5/27/15

HULLED MILLET PONGAL

                              
I was trying to replace rice as much as I can and saw this PONGAL recipe in the book given by Muthu anna when he gave me samai.These millets are called as 'ARISi' meaning RICE,which clearly says this was a replacement for rice for Tamilians in ancient times.

 There is nothing different about this PONGAL except rice is replace with millet.So I guess everyone knows the recipe for pongal...anyways... For those new here it is...

INGREDIENTS:

Millet -1 cup
Mung dhal - 1/2 cup ( some use 1/4 cup. But I prefer more mung dhal)

SEASONING:

Pepper- 2 tsp( according to taste )
Jeera -1 tsp
Ginger -finely chopped little
Curry leaf -few
Asefotida -1/4 tsp
Oil or ghee - 1 tbs ( according to taste and preference )


METHOD:

1) Soak millet and dhal for about 15 mins.(this is optional . I wanted to make sure it cooks properly.)
2) Add 3 cups water and pressure cook for 5 whistle.
3) Heat ghee in a pan and add ginger,curry  leaf,asefotida,pepper and jeera  fry till aroma comes( takes just a second or so)
4) Add to cooked millet -dhal mix along with salt .Mix well. Serve hot.

NOTE:
I added the ginger ,pepper seasoning along with millets and pressure cooked it, as I felt it has better flavor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment !

DISCLAIMER

The recipes have been tasted and liked by my family and friends .Some Ingredients amount might be approximate in some recipes, which i mostly mention.Plz adjust the ingredients like spice and salt according to taste.I will be Happy to clear any doubts .and very happy to hear the feed back, which will help me improve my blog. Thanks

Thanks for visiting my blog.
YEN SAMAYAL ARAI

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

All images and content copyright yensamayalarai © 2010.You are welcome to use the content for personal use .No reproduction of the content allowed without permission from author.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape