3/19/20

Kovakkai kurma /ivy gourd/ Tindora Kurma

This recipe was given by one of my friend Uma , who told  this was from a cook book by Ms.Vijayalakshmi .
When I first heard this kurma using kovakkai it sounded interesting. All I have done with this veggie was curry, fry, sambar or podimas. Though I have made kurma using Chow chow/Chayote ,I never thought kovakkai can also be cooked this way.But believe me, this tastes better than the one with chow chow ( at least for me.)
But I had to make couple of changes from the recipe meaning I used walnut ( actually I ran out of cashew or almond) and added kalpasi ( black stone flower) for flavor ( I feel this gives very good flavor to kurma) and I shallow fried  instead of deep frying as  told in recipe( I also used airfryer couple of times but feel shallow frying tastes better). And did not use mint ,which I think must have been for flavor.

INGREDIENTS  -for 2
Kovakkai/ivy gourd / tindora- 1 Cup (slit)
Onion- 1 medium chopped
Tomato-1 medium chopped
Green chilli -1 slit ( I added just for flavor. You can use as per taste)
Curry leaves- few
Coriander leaves -few chopped
Cinnamon-1 small
Clove -1
Kalpasi/ black stone flower- small piece ( too much will spoil the flavor )
Ginger garlic paste- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder-1/4tsp( according to taste )
Coriander powder-little less than 1/4 tsp (chilli -coriander ratio is 2:1)
Oil- 1 tbs ( for shallow frying and cooking kurma)
Water- as needed
Yogurt-3 tsp or 1 tbs
Salt- to taste


TO GRIND:
Coconut-about 1 tbs grated.
Walnut( can use any nuts )-3 to 4
Khas khas/poppyseeds-1 tsp


METHOD:

1. Grind coconut khas khas and buts into smooth paste using water .
2.Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry kovakkai/ ivy gourd and remove from oil and keep aside.


3.Heat the oil left over from frying add spices- cinnamon,clove and kalpasi.
4.Add chopped onion and chilli  and ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes.
5.Add curry leaves and tomatoes and fry ( add little salt to fasten cooking)
6.Add the ground paste and sauté for few minutes and add the powders - chilli, coriander and turmeric powders and sauté well.( actually we are supposed to add the powders with tomatoes and sauté well and then add the ground paste but this time I forgot and added after the paste)
7.Add fried kovakkai and mix well .Add water mix well.
8.Add yogurt  and water as needed and cook for couple of minutes and remove and garnish with coriander.

Enjoy this tasty gravy with roti and this tastes very good with nice crispy dosai😋



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment !

DISCLAIMER

The recipes have been tasted and liked by my family and friends .Some Ingredients amount might be approximate in some recipes, which i mostly mention.Plz adjust the ingredients like spice and salt according to taste.I will be Happy to clear any doubts .and very happy to hear the feed back, which will help me improve my blog. Thanks

Thanks for visiting my blog.
YEN SAMAYAL ARAI

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

All images and content copyright yensamayalarai © 2010.You are welcome to use the content for personal use .No reproduction of the content allowed without permission from author.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape