12/6/19

Kollu idly/ dosai



Kollu (Macrotyloma Uniflorum) also known as Horse gram or Madras gram is a a bean variety that is usually used to feed horses.Due to its medicinal properties it’s usually used in Indian villages (Tamil nadu) for cooking.I have written lot bout it’s medicinal values in my earlier post(Horse gram- Samai dosai)
     As you all must have known I am a big fan of  dosai I didn’t not try idly with that batter earlier. This time I wanted to try idly so when I searched my pantry to soak for the batter I found I ran out of Samai instead had kuthiraivali( barn yard millet)so thought of using  that for idly .which to my surprise  idly turned out so soft .(For soft idly the batter should be of the consistency  as seen in the video.it should not be thin batter)
The ingredients used and measurements are almost the same as my earlier kollu dosa post except for instead of samai I have used  kuthiraivali and also consistency of batter is bit thick ( this gives a soft dosai as my husband prefers soft version)than that of earlier dosai batter post which makes crispy dosai. 

Ingredients:
Kollu ( Horse gram) -1/2 cup
Kuthiraivaali ( Barnyard millet) -1/4 cup
Urad dhal -1/4 cup
Cumin-1 tsp
Red chilli- 2 ( according to taste)
Ginger - small 
Water to soak and grind
Salt to taste 

Method:

  1. Clean and soak horse gram along with barn yard millet and Urad in water for about 6 hrs
  2. Add  ginger ,red chilli, cumin and grind with the soaked items with soaked water ( don’t add too much water )
  3. Add salt to ground batter and immediately dosa or idly can be made.
  4. Heat water in pan boil the water
  5. Grease idly mound and pour one ladle of batter and keep in the boiling water and steam for approximately 8 to 10 minutes  ( prick a toothpick if it comes clean it’s done)
  6. To make soft dosa heat dosa pan ( not too hot as it will be difficult to make )and make dosa ( as the batter is thick it like adai  We cannot make crispy thin ones but soft thin ones )( to make crispy thin dosa add little water )add oil if preferred close and cook for a minute.  For the video click here.
  7. Serve with spicy chutney.
Note: Batter is good to make crispy or soft dosa or idly immediately .But if it gets fermented meaning kept for more than a day the idly  or dosa doesn’t have same texture .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment !

DISCLAIMER

The recipes have been tasted and liked by my family and friends .Some Ingredients amount might be approximate in some recipes, which i mostly mention.Plz adjust the ingredients like spice and salt according to taste.I will be Happy to clear any doubts .and very happy to hear the feed back, which will help me improve my blog. Thanks

Thanks for visiting my blog.
YEN SAMAYAL ARAI

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

All images and content copyright yensamayalarai © 2010.You are welcome to use the content for personal use .No reproduction of the content allowed without permission from author.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape