Usilli was considered as a most important item or to say a must in South indian Brahmin wedding menu . It would be made with any thing like beans, cabbage, plantain , or even plain paruppuusilli.
I love beans usili that my Amman makes .she does that using tur dhal. Guess that's how they do,but in one of the books that I was presented during my last India visit,I read usili using many more dhals.... Urad, moong gram and tur.
So that's what I tried with plantain flowers.Its basically same as my usual bean usili except for the plantain flower ....that was new for me.i have showed 3 different varieties here one with cabbage for which I have also added coconut and plain paruppuusilli for which I have added fennel seed and plantain flower using just usili .
Usili I guess means crumble ( plz correct me if I am wrong). Anyways coming to recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR PARUPPU USILLI:
Urad dhal-1/4 cup
Red chilli- 5 ( according to taste)
- Soak all the dhals for approximately 2 hrs and drain the water.
- Add red chilli , salt and grind to coarse paste. (without adding water.like masala vadai)
- Make small vadai and steam it .)insert a tooth pick to see if its cooked.It will come out clean.
- When cool, break this to small pieces and pulse for a second in mixer and Keep it aside
- Now in a pan heat oil and add mustard, urad dhal ,asefotida and saunf. Add curry leaf and saute for few minutes.
- Add the Powdered dhal and saute for few more minutes. Add grated coconut , mix and serve.
We just have to cook these vegetables with salt and turmeric and add to this dhal usili before adding coconut and saute for few minutes.