2/27/20

Millets Idli


The craze of rice and carb among many made me try this for idli fans.we South Indians consider idly very healthy breakfast for two reasons ,it’s steamed and easy to digest.We used to give this as first food for kids and patients but these days..people have become soooooo dependent on science of western world that many don’t want to take idly for the fear of   Obesity,diabetes etc .,and wait for western science to prove and market idly....anyways..

Let me come  to MILLETS , basically seeds are called grains or cereal grains , which are coarse grains  higher in fiber and essential minerals  than wheat ,rice or oats.where  as wheat and oats have gluten which again is a product with controversy .

There is a Tamil saying ‘Alavukku minjinaal amruthamum najaam’ - anything too much is bad .With the modern lifestyle and food habits and sleeping habits and stress we blame our foods .
I think I have written too much on health in cooking blog🤔 ( instead of   My  Natural remedies  blog )so now let me come to the recipe ,I. Have tried many rice free dosa and idli using oats,barley and horse gram but not fully with millets ,so tried it this time and it was good except the color because of  pearl millet ,which is bit dark.

The regular measurements that I use for idli is either 3 rice and 3/4 urad or 4 rice and 1 urad.so I used the same measurements  for idly except millets instead of rice .

INGREDIENTS:
Barnyard millet ( kuthirai vaali)-1/2cup
Quinoa-1/2cup
Pearl millet( Kambu)-1/2cup
Kodu millet (varagu)-1/2cup
Urad-1/2 cup

METHOD:
1) Soak all the millets and urad separately over night  or 6-7 hrs.
2) Grind them separately to smooth batter like for idly.
3) Mix them both with salt and let it ferment.
4) Heat steamer with water and grease idly mould ( if using non stick skip this)and pour the batter and steam for about 8 -10 minutes or  check with a toothpick if it comes clean.
Enjoy this soft millets idly hot with any chutney or sambar





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment !

DISCLAIMER

The recipes have been tasted and liked by my family and friends .Some Ingredients amount might be approximate in some recipes, which i mostly mention.Plz adjust the ingredients like spice and salt according to taste.I will be Happy to clear any doubts .and very happy to hear the feed back, which will help me improve my blog. Thanks

Thanks for visiting my blog.
YEN SAMAYAL ARAI

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

All images and content copyright yensamayalarai © 2010.You are welcome to use the content for personal use .No reproduction of the content allowed without permission from author.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape