Tamarind- lemon size
Dry ginger- small
long pepper- little about 4-6
Cumin seed- about 1 tsp
Red chilli- about 7 (according to taste)
Onion- 1 small(optional)
Urad dhal- about 1/2 tbs
Channa dhal- less than 1 tbs
turmeric- 1/4 tsp
Salt -to taste
Mustard, asefotida and curry leaves for seasoning
Oil-about 10 tsp(usually about one big ladle full is used)
you can also watch the video in english and tamil
- Soak tamarind in water and take the pulp.
- Heat a pan and dry fry channa, urad,dry ginger,pepper,long pepper,coriander,cumin and red chilli separately and either powder it or make to paste and keep(make it as powder if grinding for later uses)
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard ,asefotida and curry leaves and onion and saute .Add garlic saute well
- Add ground paste( powder mixed with water ) and cook well till nice aroma of pepper and dry ginger comes.
- Add tamarind pulp and enough water along with turmeric powder and salt and cook till its thick.
- remove from flame and mix couple of spoons of this with hot rice and have......its heaven when suffering with bad cold .
- this can be stored in air tight contaire for about a week in fridge.