10/26/17

AMARANTH HALWA


                                      

When looking for health food ,found name Amaranth  (Rajgira/Thandu keerai seed)When I tried to find more info on this grain that has been there for 8000 years.. it was 😲 Cooked Amaranth is high in protein and many minerals like  Magnesium,Iron, Calcium and Potassium . It is also rich in  vitamin B  when compared to other grains.
  Though I was not able to find the grain I did find the flour .But was not sure if I can use it for chapathi or dosa  as it was Gluten free . But accidentally I saw a cookery show( unfortunately end part of show) where he said it was Rajgira poori.So I was searching google for that recipe and bumped into this Halwa recipe.
 But altered the recipe a bit used jaggery instead of sugar as I always feel sweets unique flavor using jaggery and did not add milk. So here is my version of halwa, which was liked by those who tasted it.

INGREDIENTS:
Amaranth flour -1/2 cup
Jaggery-1/2 cup
Water - about 1/4 cup
Ghee and oil -1/4(2 tbs ghee  and 2tbs oil)plus 2tbs for frying Amaranth flour And chopped nuts
Chopped nuts- few
Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp

METHOD:
1) Fry (in medium flame)nuts along with Amaranth flour till a nutty aroma of Amaranth comes and keep aside. 
2) Grate jaggery and mix with water and melt . When it comes to half string consistency add the flour slowly stirring .
3) Add 2tbs oil little by little and keep stirring . 
4) When it starts leaving sides add left over 2tbs of ghee and keep stirring till ghee starts oozing out.
5) Pour this in greased trayand level it using spatula .
6) When cool Cut into pieces or serve it just like that when warm.

NOTE: I used refined coconut oil








2 comments:

Thanks for leaving a comment !

DISCLAIMER

The recipes have been tasted and liked by my family and friends .Some Ingredients amount might be approximate in some recipes, which i mostly mention.Plz adjust the ingredients like spice and salt according to taste.I will be Happy to clear any doubts .and very happy to hear the feed back, which will help me improve my blog. Thanks

Thanks for visiting my blog.
YEN SAMAYAL ARAI

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

All images and content copyright yensamayalarai © 2010.You are welcome to use the content for personal use .No reproduction of the content allowed without permission from author.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape