This is a tasty,healthy pickle/thokku .I would like to call it thokku as it has less oil than pickle and also it can be mixed with rice .
Actually I happened to have lot of lemon rind after making lemon juice and I could see all the 6-7 lemon rind to go to trash .so,thought let me try to sauté with salt and little chilli powder and have it a side dish for curd rice.but when I tested it for spice It was so goos and got idea of making it as thokku and mixing it with rice.so tried it and I loved it. As usual I gave to my neighbour ,she too loved it and so did my husband and when my inlaws were here I gave this for them too and they too said it was good.
I make this often when I get lot of lemon rind.
It's simple and easy one to make. And it can be stored in fridge for more than a month.
Lemon rind-of 3-4 lemon
Oil-1 big ladle
Chilli powder- according to taste
Salt- to taste
1) Cut rinds to small pieces.(cook easily with less oil)
2) Heat oil in a pan and sauté along with salt and chilli powder.
3) Cover and cook ,stiring once in a while.(this make cooking faster with less oil )
4) When it's soft,cool and grind to paste.( it will little coarse as we haven't added water and less oil.if you want to have smooth paste increase cooing time and add more oil)
5) In another pan heat 1tsp oil and add mustard,asefotida .And add the ground paste sauté couple of minutes to mix the seasoning well.
6) Store in clean bottle.It stays good in fridge for more than a month.