Upma is a regular tiffin item we south Indian do.We do different varieties of uppa, like puli upma,thayir upma, vegetable upma, aval upma, arisi upma,kichidi , list goes on and on.
I believe my hubby used to cook rava upma often when he was alone so he hatessssssss rava upma.But on the contrary i loveeeeeeee upma.... so as a compromise between 2 of us i often make vegetable upma.... smart uh???? :)
Its simple and nutritious too with all vegges.
Green chilli-according to taste
Curry leaf- 1 or 2 strings
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Water- 3 cups(if using precooked vegetables use just 1 1/2 or 2 cups depending on the consistency of uppa you prefer)
Salt- to taste
- Fry rava in oil or ghee(frying in ghee makes upma very soft)till nice aroma comes and keep it aside.
- Chop green chilli,tomatoes, onion, garlic and vegetables.
- Heat oil in and add saunf,cinnamon(some people also add bay leaf),garlic,onion ,curry leaf and tomatoes.Add salt and saute well.
- Add the vegetables and saute.(we can also pressure cook the vegetable )
- Add water and let it boil.(keep it in medium flame covered for the vegetables to get cooked).
- Keep stirring and add rava otherwise we will get lumps.
- Cover and cook.
Serve with green chutney or coconut chutney.