9/17/08

SWEET MURUKKU(MANOHARAM)


This was my first try.To be very frank it was something which turned out to be something else ..LOL... but it tasted good.It is custom to make seedai ,thatai and murukku for krishna jayanthi and that was the way all these years .Usually i make white murukku(thats what my mom used to call) for krishna jayanthi but this time i had to try out something else as my grinder wasnt working(for white murukku we need to grind rice )so one of my neighbour told me about maida murukku and i wanted to give it a try.But made a small change in that recipe.I added bengal gram flour along with urad flour ,which made my murukku so crispy that it broke into small pieces and that turned my maida murukku to sweet murukku :)
And here is my version:

INGREDIENTS:

All purpose flour-4 cups
Urad dal-1/2 cup(fried without oil and powdered)
Bengal gram powder-1/2 cup
Cumin seeds - 1/2tsp
Butter 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil -for frying
Jaggery-to make pagu(sugar syrup)

METHOD:

1)Steam the maida flour (without adding water to flour) in cooker for 2 whistles.
2)Mix urad dal powder, bengal gram powder, maida flour,Cumin seed ,butter, and salt, and make a soft dough adding little water .
3)Fill this dough in the murruku press.
4)Heat oil in a pan and when the oil is hot, press the murukku onto the oil.(This is when my crispy murukku broke into small pieces and i had to convert that into sweet murukku)
5)Cook till light golden color .

6)Remove and drain excess oil.
7)Make sugar syrup(2 string consistency) with jaggery and water.
8)Add the Murukku in the syrup and remove immediately and cool.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment !

DISCLAIMER

The recipes have been tasted and liked by my family and friends .Some Ingredients amount might be approximate in some recipes, which i mostly mention.Plz adjust the ingredients like spice and salt according to taste.I will be Happy to clear any doubts .and very happy to hear the feed back, which will help me improve my blog. Thanks

Thanks for visiting my blog.
YEN SAMAYAL ARAI

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

All images and content copyright yensamayalarai © 2010.You are welcome to use the content for personal use .No reproduction of the content allowed without permission from author.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape